Thursday, March 14, 2013

Takin' A Shelfie


Over the years, I've trusted my gut (and have been confirmed by the best of 'em), that you should only decorate your kitchen with stuff you actually use in a kitchen. Anything from a peach to pitcher, a reamer, roaster or a framed rouille recipe , it all works;  just avoid the non-utilitarian elements at all costs.  Frankly, some things just don't make sense in a room designated for cooking

With that said, I get bored easily and crave change. So:
One day last Spring I needed more storage for all our CSA veggies and came up with a shelf solution I had on hand. I used a vintage chicken “fancy young hen turkeys” crate (poor turkeys), which instantly gave me two shelves when mounted to the wall. I change it on the regular to fit my storage needs.

I thought outside the box and you can, too. It's always fun to take something utilitarian and use it in an unexpected way. Surprise yourself and do the same!

Here are some of the ways I've styled the shelf to get you in the mood:










No comments: