Monday, July 18, 2011

Green Eggs & Ham


I think I was 22 years old when I had my first deviled egg. Previously, the presentation, color and consistency of that egg's predecesors were scary to say the least. I grew up learning to cook from my mother who as an artist told me that you "eat with your eyes first" before everybody discussed it on The Food Network decades later. So for me, I wasn't going to eat a runny, sloppy, neon-yellow deviled egg at 8 or 18 either.

But after a couple of glasses of wine one night, my friend finally convinced me to eat a non-threatening-looking deviled egg. The party we were attending where this first deviled egg crossed my lips was made by a good cook whose house who looked like she kept fresh-quality-milk in her refrigerator (a standard in which I judge adventurous eating in private homes).
The egg surprisingly wasn't bad. Fine actually.
"I can do something with this. Yeah, I'm gonna make my own deviled eggs," I said, surprising us both that these words were coming out my mouth.

And in the many years since I have made deviled eggs, several times in fact! I'd like to think I've improved upon the standard, adding a ton of herbacious goodness and dijon. But this budget-gourmet incarnate is my best yet.

Green Eggs & Ham:
-1 dozen hardboiled eggs, separated (make your own or make it easy and buy them pre-cooked and peeled!)
-1/4 cup reduced fat olive oil mayo (or go ahead and use the high test stuff)
-1/4 cup good olive oil
-3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
-1 Tablespoon of Green Hot Sauce
-kosher salt (to taste)
-fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
-fistful of fresh basil
-fistful of flat leaf Italian parsley
-1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
-1 clove of garlic
-Zest and juice of Half of a Lemon
-1 scallion diced
-1 medium rib of celery diced
-1/4 lb. of super thin sliced proscuitto (or serrano ham)

Place the eggs whites on a platter.
Put everything else minus the celery, scallion & proscuitto in a food processor and pulse until incorporated scraping the sides down as needed. When the mixture is all green and incorporated add the onions and celery and pulse a couple more times just to bring it all together.

Pipe the mixture using a standard piping bag or a freezer bag with a tip cut off to place in to the egg. Top with a little curled up ribbon of proscuitto.

There you have it: Green Eggs and Ham you'll actually wanna eat.

No comments: