Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cobble It Up


Two days ago we harvested a skillion tomatoes from our garden and I had the perfect idea of what to do with them: Tomato Cobbler!
I saw this recipe in the July 2011 Martha Stewart Living magazine my Aunt Mikki had recycled to me and had been waiting to execute it.
However, when I was ready to dive in and make it for dinner, I was missing some ingredients and had no intention of walking in town to get the heavy cream that it called for - my kid was about to get up from her daily siesta and she's not so amicable (until she has something to eat and fifteen minutes of "wake-up-time" under her belt). I needed to start prepping and exercise was not going to be part of it.

So I decided to 'make it work.'
Oh, I made it work all right, and at the betterment of my waistline.
I trimmed some fat and added some herbs AND I even got my daughter to help make it.
Freakin' delish.
Pretty darn easy, too.
Make it and reap its summery peasant rewards:



MARTHA-STEWART'S-DOCTORED-UP-TOMATO-COBBLER

*you'll need about a two-quart baking dish roughly 2 inches high on the sides

Filling:
-3 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
-3 medium onions sliced thin (I used red, white and yellow, cuz why not?)
-4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
-Enough tomatoes to fill the bottom of your baking dish - Martha's says "3 pounds." (I used ping pong tomatoes but grape or cherry or anything from a small to medium size is just fine)
-3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
-Sea or Kosher Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Biscuit Topping:
-1 cup All purpose Flour
-1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (I changed this from 2 cups of AP Flour to inject some nutritional value)
-2 teaspoons Baking Powder
-1 teaspoon coarse salt
-7-14 good cracks of fresh pepper
-1 stick of icy cold sweet cream butter cut in to small cubes
-1 cup of Thick shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Martha's required Gruyere but I was, eh hem, all out)...save a little for sprinkling on top before placing in the oven
-2 small containers (12 oz) of 0% Greek Yogurt (like Chobani)
-1/3 cup of icy cold water
-About a heaping tablespoon of fresh chopped thyme
-1-2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped chives depending on your affinity for them
(There aren't any herbs in the Martha version and I just felt like plain dough lent itself as an opportunity for improvement.)

1. Caramelize the onions in 2 of the tablespoons of oil on Medium heat for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add some salt & pepper. Add a dash of water every once in awhile to get them to steam and soften and to scrape up the yummish brown bit on the bottom of your pan. Add the garlic for the last 2-4 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat. Let the mix cool for 10-15 minutes. A good non-stick pan is sorta clutch for this.
They'll wilt down a ton:










2. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees...I went the convection setting route.

3. While that first step is cooling, work on the biscuit topping: Mix everything (except the yogurt, water and cheese) together. Grab a fork and mash the cold butter cubes with the back of it. Just cut it in to the size of peas but don't get too methodical about it/sposta be rustic. Then mix the cheese in real quick. Then the yogurt and water. Don't overwork the dough. Remember: rustic, people.












4. Put the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your baking dish. Rub that sucker down to avoid sticking. Then - add the caramelized onions to the baking dish along with those 3 extra tablespoons of AP flour, salt, pepper, & red pepper flakes and the tomatoes, of course. Spread everything out in one layer as best as you can.

5. Use a small-sized ice cream scoop (or a spoon or your hands as my daughter did), to place equal-sized mounds all around the perimeter of your dish, sorta like a wreath. Brush olive oil over the dough. Sprinkle that lil bit of cheese over the dough.












6. Put that delicious monster of a dish in the oven. Bake until golden and bubbly. (50-70 minutes depending on your altitude, dish size, and biscuit mound architecture). Just keep checking.

7. Let cool 15-20 minutes. So infuriating.

8. Eat with joy as you sop up those tomatoey juices with crunchy-crumbly-satisfying-low-fat-herby-biscuits!!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!

1 comment:

Shortcake said...

This looks DEEEELISH!!!! Can't wait to make it myself :)